Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Some thoughts after the Steelers game
























• Yes, Curtis Painter did look marginally better than Kerry Collins. But that’s like comparing sewage systems in war-torn developing nations. Jim Irsay said not to expect to see Peyton Manning this season; then clarified, tweeting that he’s still holding out hope and that’s why Manning’s not on the IR. I’d like to reiterate my opinion that he should be on the retired list.

• Against the Steelers was the best I have ever seen Joseph Addai play. He did his best to pull the offense behind him, and nearly pulled out a win. Of course, he still didn’t break anything longer than 11 yards and wasn’t really part of the passing game. But I did notice that they used him on short yardage, which is sort of an anti-endorsement for Delone Carter, who was supposed to take that role. Still no carries for Godamnit Donald, but he did look awful on special teams, if that counts.

• Did you see how Pierre Garçon clicked with Painter once he came in? I thought it was interesting that Reggie Wayne was a big Painter supporter earlier, and now it seems Garçon is on board as well. Austin Collie still doesn’t look back to normal to me. The tight ends looked great as blockers, less so as receivers.

• I thought the o-line improved. The Steelers threw everything at them and they did a decent job in pass pro. And they are much better than last year’s unit at run blocking. Look at it this way, Anthony Castonzo can learn to be a better pass blocker, but Charlie Johnson and Co. will never get more sand in their pants as run blockers. I certainly don’t miss Kyle DeVan, who was pressed into started duty for the Eagles against the Giants and looked totally overwhelmed. When it came to the Steelers game, veteran center Jeff Saturday – that master of leverage and angles – in particular looked like a monster. And he was facing Casey Hampton.

• Maybe it was because he was facing Jonathan Scott, but Dwight Freeney looked phenomenal. And Robert Mathis also had a good day as a rusher, facing rookie Marcus Gilbert. I just hope that stupid mega-stunt is put to rest. It takes far too long to develop. The rest of the D-line? Drake Nevis looked quick, but not all that strong. Eric Foster did nothing good that I noticed. Props to Jamaal Anderson for breaking tackles, though. He looked like a tight end.

• Love, love, love Pat Angerer. He still falls for even the simplest offensive rouses, but is everywhere and knows how to tackle. I have to praise his pal Kavell Conner as well. I’ve always liked him as a chase guy, but he showed a little forward momentum against the Steelers as well. If only his coverage would improve. Some Colts fans think he’s just keeping the seat warm until Ernie Sims comes back from injury, but I’m not sure if Sims would be an upgrade. From what I've seen, he's more name than game.

• As is well known, David Caldwell was horribly burned on Mike Wallace’s long TD, and really didn’t look all that good in any aspect of the game. He started in place of injured safety Melvin Bullitt, but was outplayed by rookie free agent Joe Lefeged, who has also earned a spot as the team’s primary kick returner. Still not sure why Justin Tryon and Kevin Thomas are not playing.

Pat McAfee has ridiculous leg power, ridiculous.

3 comments:

Roy said...

Funny Painter v. Collins analogy.

Do you see Painter having any potential to develop? Or will he forever be the guy that throws frozen ropes in practice but gets so flustered and overwhelmed in games that he will never be a player?

I agree with you about Angerer. The thing that makes him so remarkable is his energy. The man runs 40 yards downfield on special teams, and then goes in on defense and is all over the field.

We have to agree to disagree about Manning and retirement. I want to wait and see how he does after the surgery. Not being a doctor, I don't know the chances of him resuming his career with a degree of safety.

Freeney may have been facing a second rate tackle, but to play as he did with his injury says volumes about his desire. I did not see nearly as many spin moves as usual. Maybe the bull rush was working, but I would have thought he would have mixed in a few more spin moves if he was healthy.

I agree with you about the leg strength of "Captain Underpants" McAfee. His value to the team is magnified by the fact that the COLTS special teams are so putrid I fear for a long return whenever the kickoff/punt can be returned.

About Joe Addai, I saw a statistical analysis of him on short yardage situations. I seem to recall that he did quite well. The problem was all those 2 yard runs. Of course, the blocking was so bad that he was consistently being hit behind the LOS. Anyway, I always have been a Joe Addai fan. He is so versatile, and so good in pass protection. My thought was that his period of dancing behind the LOS rather than hitting the hole quickly was a result of not having any blocking. He seemed to come to expect there would be no hole so he started looking for an alternative as soon as he started running. Just a theory, but maybe not too ridiculous.

Jerry Langton said...

Roy: I think the arc on Painter's potential is low. Angerer? Yes, his energy is what's keeping the Colts competitive. Freeney? Indeed. Addai? I'm still not solidly in his corner. I admit he does many things well, but his lack of breakaway potential and his shortcomings as a receiver temper that. I've been spoiled by backs like James and Faulk.

Roy said...

Tryon was cut today. Whats up with that?

Makes no sense from a talent standpoint.