Thursday, March 26, 2009

ColtPlay Interview: Dudley Guice Jr.

A couple of days ago, the Colts looked at an exciting small-school prospect named Dudley Guice Jr. I didn’t really know much about him (I’ve only seen him play once), but was really impressed by his statistics and his workout numbers. Then I looked at his bio, and he seemed like a great guy. He had a 3.597 grade-point average, graduated cum laude and aspires to be a federal agent.

So ColtPlay asked Guice a few questions. I’m glad I did. Not only is Guice an intriguing prospect, he’s also a witty, candid guy. Read what he says, he seems like a natural-born Colt.

CP: I saw you play in the Texas vs. the Nation Game, and you did great. Was it difficult playing a game with players from other teams after four years at NSU?
DGJ: No, not at all. I mean, it’s one of those things where I’ve been playing football pretty much my whole life; and more than anything, it was an honor just to play with such a great group of guys from all calibers of schools. I adapted well to the environment, and I had a great time to show not only scouts and players my God-given ability, but to prove to myself that I belong there in the mix.

CP: What’s the best part of your game as relates to a pro career?
DGJ: If I had a phrase to describe me it would say “A Very Versatile Athlete” … meaning I think personally I do all of the intangibles very well. I pride myself on route running and God gave me the ability to have soft big hands. I’m a great deep threat, short, or over the middle. I’m very physical, and I love to mix up with DBs at the line of scrimmage. I definitely think I'm a home run hitter, and I will block for my running back at all times and not take plays off. Most of all, I’m self-motivated and a hard worker.

CP: What do you need to work on?
DGJ: Not trying to sound arrogant by any means, but I think we all have room for improvement in every aspect of our games. And I’m always open mentally and physically for improvement — but the one thing that pops out to me is that I may need to work on is playing and focusing in on my assignment at 100 percent while playing tired or fatigued.



CP: I noticed that you move very well laterally for a big receiver, is that something you’ve specifically worked on?
DGJ: Yes sir. I have. I think a lot of big receivers rely only on their natural body and talent to get open, but myself, I pride myself on route running and doing the intangibles to make it even harder to cover me. When it’s the 4th quarter and a DB’s saying to himself ‘what is he about to do?’ I would like more than one bullet in the chamber. LOL

CP: I know you did a lot of work at NSU on special teams, is this something you see yourself doing in the pros?
DGJ: Of course. I know you have to crawl before you walk, and I’m willing to do whatever it takes to get on the field, whether it’s playing special teams or catching the game-winning touchdown. As long as our team’s winning, I'm all for it.

CP: Despite your production at NSU and your great workout numbers, there’s a chance you might not get drafted. If that becomes the case, you will get lots of offers — what factors would help you decide on what team to sign with (eg. signing bonus, chance of making playoffs, offensive philosophy)?
DGJ: That’s a big factor, and I just try not think about it, and let God work His magic. But if that was to happen, I would like to go to an organization who’s about the team first and that take pride themselves the same way whether they’re winning or losing, and just treating everyone with respect.

CP: Is playing the slot significantly different than playing wide? Which do you prefer?
DGJ: Actually, I like both. I like the wide because DBs have a hard time pressing me and matching up man to man. And I like the slot cause I give safeties and linebackers a major threat. I just try to make plays when my number’s called whether it's in the slot or out wide.

CP: Who was the toughest DB you faced in college?
DGJ: I can honestly say up until this point I haven't met my match yet but maybe in the near future I can answer that question. LOL

CP: You turned down a scholarship to play DB at Mississippi State to play WR at NSU, why was it so important to play WR?
DGJ: It's just one of those things that receiver is my passion, and it’s something I love to do. At the time, I led the state with 11 or 12 INTs my senior year and a lot of bigger schools wanted me to play DB because I was 6'1 and 207 pounds coming out of high school. I helped my team out on the defensive side, but also led the state in receptions with about 52, 54 or 56 with 1,100 or 1,200-plus yards receiving. So to me it's one of those things — are you going to play DB just to go to a bigger school and get more recognition, or are you going to go to a school and play the position that you love to play and want to get better in? So I picked WR.

CP: You’re a cum laude graduate and aspire to be a federal agent; is it important to you to go to a team that deems character to be an essential part of a prospect’s value?
DGJ: Of course. Definitely growing up throughout my life, a wise man (which is my dad) told me to remember a saying and till this day I know it frontwards and backwards. My dad said: “Adversity brings character; and character can take you to a place that fame, money or whatever it is can’t.”

CP: You’ve spoken with a number of NFL teams, how do the Colts compare with the others?
DGJ: Just saying the name Colts speaks for itself. There are a lot of great veteran players on that team, and they pride themselves in the same manner whether it's winning or losing — and that’s playing till it’s 0:00 on the clock. I would love to catch a few bombs from Peyton Manning. It would not only be a biggest dream, but it would be an honor.

CP: Do people consistently mispronounce your last name? Does it rhyme with “spice?”
DGJ: Yes sir. Whether there are saying geese, juice, or grice, it keeps a smile on my face. Hopefully, one day I can become a household name — a Got Guice instead of juice. LOL

3 comments:

Top_Gun said...

He does seem like a natural and he spoke very educated. I checked Dudley out on draftguys T.v. and he can flat out play. It most be a catch to this (6"3" 210pds 4.35- 39 1/2inch vertical-6.61 L-drill- 4.01 5-10-5 10"5'8 broad jump) he was a man against boys out there. If we can get Guice in the 5th or 6 round, it'll be a steal. Interesting?????????? I wonder if the Colts offered him a private workout.

Top_Gun said...

O yeah.. numbers were on NFL Draft Bible so they gotta be ligit.

Jerry Langton said...

Yeah, those are some pretty outstanding numbers. What Guice has to do now is prove that he's not just an athlete, but a player. He's certainly not lacking in confidence.

To tell you the truth, I'd bet he makes it.